Your cart is empty

Clos Saint Jean - Chateauneuf du Pape Deus Ex Machina 2006 (750ml)


Price: $249.99

Producer Clos Saint Jean
Country France
Region Rhone
Subregion Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Varietal Grenache Mourvèdre
Vintage 2006
Sku 29465
Size 750ml

Clos Saint Jean Description

The third cuvee, the curtain-call if you will, is named Deus Ex-Machina, and as it's base (60%) has the Maurels' centenaire (and older) Grenache vines. The remaining 40% is superb, low-yielding Mourvedre.

Wine Advocate: 99 Points

In 2006, only a handful of other producers in Chateauneuf du Pape hit the heights achieved by Clos St.-Jean with the following wine. The inky/ruby/purple-colored 2006 Chateauneuf du Pape Deus-Ex Machina reveals notes of graphite, roasted meats, figs, plums, blackberries, and smoked herbs. The complex aromatic fireworks are followed by a full-bodied, rich, meaty wine with gorgeous purity, depth, and length. This cuvee should age effortlessly for two decades or more. How Vincent Maurel and Philippe Cambie were able to produce such stupendous wines in 2006 is remarkable. Readers should hasten to buy this wine ASAP!

Wine Spectator: 95 Points

Nearly gushes with raspberry and fig sauce notes, but the ripe, lush fruit is harnessed by a superracy graphite underpinning, which allows notes of mineral, shiso leaf, braised fig and incense to stretch out the long, supersilky finish. Has impressive length and plenty of latent concentration. Best from 2010 through 2030.

Customers Viewing This Page Might Also Like These Items
Sign up for our Newsletter
Sign Up
Copyright © 2023 All rights reserved  •  Website Powered by WineFetch
Suburban Wines & Spirits

Welcome to Suburban Wines and thank you for visiting us! To stay up-to-the-minute on our latest discounted wine offerings, services and exclusive events, sign up for our newsletter by entering your email.